A simple guide to billing success
As a group practice owner, you have many options for paying your clinicians and you have to keep track of a variety of details. Regardless of whether you use the Hourly, Service-Based, or Percentage-Based models of billing, here are 5 best practices to make sure your payroll is as accurate and timely as possible:
1. Make sure all your information is current
- Verify your client’s insurance information before their first session. Communicate what the insurance company tells you about their policy and set their expectations.
- Make sure all your Tax ID and NPI information is up to date in your SimplePractice account. This will help you to avoid denied, rejected, or audited claims. It also helps ensure your payments are going straight to you, and your records for taxes at the end of the year are as accurate as possible.
2. Collect client payments/copayments at time of service
- Use the SimplePractice Client Portal to collect client credit card information.
- Use SimplePractice’s Autopay feature for daily invoicing.
- Edit your group’s practice policies (in the intake packet) to include a clear description of your client payment expectations. Make sure clients know from the beginning how payments will be processed.
3. Track the claim’s journey
- File claims weekly through SimplePractice. This allows for a more timely reimbursement for pay disbursement.
- Enroll in payment reports through SimplePractice. This will eliminate the need to manually track and allocate Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) from the insurance providers.
4. Follow up
- Require clinicians update their appointment statuses daily. Identify no-shows, late-cancelled appointments, and cancelled appointments in a timely manner. If these are not caught at the time of the session, they’ll cause adjustments later.
- Check to reconcile accounts weekly using SimplePractice’s reporting features. Follow up on any unallocated payments and uninvoiced sessions.
5. Don’t be afraid to seek help
- Join the SimplePractice Facebook community, where thousands of our customers and our SimplePractice team help each other daily.
- The SimplePractice Help Center has a wealth of information regarding best practices and calculating payroll.
- Visit the Help Center community. Post, comment on, and vote for new product features with other customers like you.
- Consider hiring a biller. SimplePractice has an in-house Medical Billing team called SmartBilling Pro.