The Most Frequently Used ICD-10 Codes in Behavioral Health in 2017

Top 25 ICD-10 codes

Curious about the top ICD-10 codes being used by your fellow SimplePractice customers in 2017? Great news! We combined data from all of our customers in 2017 and came up with the top 25 ICD-10 diagnostic codes.

The table below includes the most commonly used ICD-10 diagnoses in 2017.

Rank ICD 10 code Diagnosis
1 F41.1 Generalized anxiety disorder
2 F43.23 Adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood
3 F43.22 Adjustment disorder with anxiety
4 F33.1 Major depressive disorder, recurrent, moderate
5 F43.20 Adjustment disorder, unspecified
6 F41.9 Anxiety disorder, unspecified
7 F43.21 Adjustment disorder with depressed mood
8 Z63.0 Problems in relationship with spouse or partner
9 F43.12 Post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic
10 F34.1 Dysthymic disorder
11 F43.10 Post-traumatic stress disorder, unspecified
12 F32.1 Major depressive disorder, single episode, moderate
13 F33.0 Major depressive disorder, recurrent, mild
14 F32.9 Major depressive disorder, single episode, unspecified
15 F90.2 Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, combined type
16 F60.9 Personality disorder, unspecified
17 F40.228 Other natural environment type phobia
18 F43.25 Adjustment disorder w mixed disturb of emotions and conduct
19 F06.1 Catatonic disorder due to known physiological condition
20 F33.2 Major depressive disorder, recurrent severe without psychotic features
21 F41.0 Panic disorder without agoraphobia
22 F90.0 Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, predominantly inattentive type
23 F32.0 Major depressive disorder, single episode, mild
24 F42.2 Mixed obsessional thoughts and acts
25 F84.0 Childhood autism

NOTE: Check out our previous post on the top ICD-codes in 2015.

Top diagnoses categories

To get a better understanding of the top diagnoses made in 2017, we then collapsed the 25 codes listed above into nine categories.

Rank Category % of total diagnosis
1 Reaction to severe stress, and adjustment disorders (F43) 39%
2 Anxiety disorders (F40, F41) 27%
3 Depressive disorders (F32, F33, F34) 20%
4 Z Codes 5%
5 Neurodevelopmental disorders 4%
6 Specific personality disorders 2%
7 Other mental disorders due to known physiological condition 2%
8 Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders 1%
9 Pervasive developmental disorders 1%
Total 100%

As shown above, the top the top three diagnoses diagnosis categories in 2017—trauma, anxiety, and depressive disorders—made up 86% of the total diagnoses. The next five categories combined made up the remaining 14%.

NOTE: This list is provided for informational purposes only and is not exhaustive or exclusive. The codes included are based on SimplePractice customer’s most frequently utilized diagnosis codes in 2017.

Click here to try SimplePractice for free for 30 days

Looking for more Behavioral Health resources?

If you found this post useful, here are more blog posts you may like:

• Therapy Session Rates by CPT Code
Top 20 ICD-10 Codes of 2019 (Year-to-Date)
The 20 Most Common ICD-10 Codes for Behavioral Health


SimplePractice is the leading practice management software for behavioral health and wellness professionals. The cloud-based software and mobile app allow clinicians to manage their practices securely from anywhere. Click below to learn more. Learn More

Get the latest articles right in your inbox.

Join 130,000+ practitioners like you getting the best resources.

Popular Articles